Saturday 16 July 2011

CHELSEA HOTEL



Saturday. The flood. Like the sketches the rat (anagram) director emails, can you make the opener more dynamic...I should be trying to make the opener more dynamic instead I've been side-tracked YouTube-ing various versions of Leonard Cohen's song Chelsea Hotel. When I was 17 Leonard Cohen was girls music but I admired some of his songs in secret. I even swapped a John B. Sebastian LP for Songs From A Room circa 1970. I have to do a magazine commission. It's perfect weather for working.  But all I want to do is watch Youtube. On my first visit to New York in 1989 I stayed in The Chelsea Hotel. I didn't use the elevator. If I drove the elevator maybe I might have met Patti Smith or Kris Kristofferson instead I climbed the staircase and met the spirit of Dylan Thomas sliding down the bannister. I found on Facebook an old friend who I haven't seen since 1973 and the clue to her was Leonard Cohen. Leonard Cohen is the only music she lists on her info page. So it had to be her. She introduced me to Leonard Cohen in 1969. I bought Pearl in 1970. Janis Joplin was according to the song the girl in the song. It is a beautiful song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment